Monday, July 25, 2011

my first Dutch spiral

I finally finished this piece this afternoon.  It was fun to do, and, excepting a couple frustrating moments, I really enjoyed making it, and am happy with the end result.  Being my first attempt, I used a tutorial to get started... then kind of wandered off on my own.  It started me off with a spiral very much like a celini spiral, then you expand the bridge each row, till you get it to the size you want.  I was cruising along, then realized I would run out of the size 15/0's long before it was long enough to be a necklace.  Because of the loose weave, I didn't think it would work too well as a bracelet.. it would probably get caught on everything!  So... what to do??  I thought about adding a piece of chain to each end.. but that didn't feel right.
I decided to just keep going.  I decreased the bridge, and continued on with the celini type spiral.  That worked well for the side that followed the dutch spiral section.. but then I had to go back and complete the extension on the original side.  I tried to continue with the spiral, but soon realised I was spiraling in the wrong direction...  and where I had started this section, there was a marked kink/bend in the rope.  Another option was to start a new piece and attach it to the main section.  This way the spiral would at least be going the right way.  So I did a piece, about 2" long... and attached it.  Um... adding 2" on each side wouldn't even fit around Daisy's long skinny neck!  Extending the other end was easy... just keep stitching the spiral. 
Maybe, I thought to my clever self, I could keep going on the started side by doing the spiral backwards... lol .. this was very unsuccessful!  Back to the original plan.... stitch a separate piece and just attach it like zipping up any peyote piece.  So, as I get going on this new segment, a new realization, now I am going to run out of the dark purple size 8/0 beads!  egads.
To keep each side the same length, I'd stitch an inch or so on one side... then move to the other side and do the same amount there.  All in all, it was kind of a long drawn out process.  But I like the end result, how the dutch spiral just kind of flows into the narrower side spirals.  And, I think I learned a lot in this process!  I would do another one like this.  But knowing to start with the small spiral.. then tranisition to the dutch.. then back to the smaller spiral and keep it all one piece will make it much easier.  I hope you like it.



More fun from Friday... I got four packages of beads and things that had been purchased in mid to late June and early July.  These had all been held up by the postal strike.  I talked to the postal clerk last week to see what was the status on the backlog and new items being sent.  His  explaination:  all new items posted should take the normal shipping time.  Anything that was already backlogged, would be sorted and added to the current mail as time permitted.  Everything should be delivered by the end of July. 
At least I had fun going thru and checking out all the new shiney beads.  I had managed to catch a couple good sales at Brightlingsbeads.  happy dance.. new toys!!
But.....where is my Aug/Sept copy of Beadwork magazine!!!  As soon as I get that, I think I will be caught up on any mail sitting in the backlog.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice, I like the colors you used. I ran into the same problem when it came to ending my spiral. Just like you I will know what to do the next time. The Dutch spiral is a fun, fast and easy stitch, love it!
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Therese. I loved the pearls you used on yours.. makes it such an elegant necklace.

    ReplyDelete